Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Superbug Is Here, Let's Be Cautious

Now I've kidded in the past about the people in Westport and their concerns that this new generation of artificial turf is dangerous because of chemicals released into the air. But now that the Superbug (the MRSA virus) has arrived in Fairfield County, I'm a little freaked out at the possibilities. Especially if these artificial turf fields are not being properly maintained.

Now I'm not an expert in infectious diseases. I actually hope to get one on Live From the FC this Saturday morning. But I have studied up on the artificial turf. Bodily fluids do not drain as quickly in artificial turf as it does grass playing fields. And if our schools are not keeping up with regular sanitation schedules (or doing it ASAP), the MRSA virus could potentially hang out there for a while. I'm not talking weeks, but if you have phys ed classes and then a block of practices, it could be an issue.

Meanwhile, players, though it's cool to go all season without washing your gear or changing your practice clothing, you want to do it. Parents, encourage your sons to bring the equipment home. or coaches, enforce this.

Here's all I really know about MRSA, and we all know you can't fully trust Wikipedia. Apparently, maggots can help rid patients of MRSA, too, but I wouldn't go that far.

Last thing we need is for some of these regional outbreaks to intensify.






No comments: